If you have a website, you surely know it needs to be optimized for search engines to find you. Search Engine Optimization or SEO is critical to making sure search engines find and rank your site. For doing this optimization, you need some SEO tools, but what is an SEO tool?
There are many SEO Tools so let’s have a look at what they are and which ones you really need.
What Exactly is Search Engine Optimization (SEO)?
Before I answer this question, I want to make it clear, there is not a magic pill for search engine optimization. It cannot solve all the world’s problems or even your site’s. In fact, great SEO takes a lot of hard work, dedication and planning to produce the best long-lasting results. If someone or some service promises results that sound too good to be true, they probably are. With the tools I am going to discuss in this article, you can get it done pretty much on your own with some good training and knowledge.
SEO is pretty much just what it sounds like. It is the optimization of everything related to your website that will get you recognized by all the search engines. This means, when someone does a search on a keyword they are interested in, your site will come up hopefully on the first page of search engines, like Google. There is on-page, off-page, keyword research, metadata, and much more to SEO. Read more detail about SEO in my article on SEO for Affiliate Marketing, by CLICKING HERE.
There are many SEO tools on the market, both Free and Paid.
What is an SEO Tool?
SEO tools are simply tools that will help you optimize your website for search engines. These can include tools for keyword research, competition or competitor research, rank tracking, link building (internal and external), on and off page SEO, content creation techniques, and much more. We will talk about many tools of the trade in the following paragraphs.
What are Some of the Best SEO Tools? You May Have to Pay for These.
As you would expect, paid for SEO Tools are going to be more professional than the free tools. They will provide you with better SEO features, including management and the best tracking tools.
Here are my Top 6 of the Best Paid SEO Tools based on my and other user’s experiences. The top two could be in the first spot, because they are very close in features and capability:
- Ahrefs – Ahrefs is probably the most well known set of tools for backlinks and overall SEO analysis. It includes the following:
- Site Explorer that analyzes your backlinks and those of your competitors.
- Content Explorer that will help you find the most shared content on social media.
- Keyword Explorer tool to easily fine relevant keywords and their associated traffic.
- Rank Tracker to track your desktop and mobile rankings for all locations. Provides you with reports daily, weekly and monthly.
- Site Audit tool that will analyze your whole website for any SEO related issues and also keeps you up to date on your site health.
- And much more…to replace many other individual tools.
- SEMrush – One complete suite of more than 20 SEO tools, all in one place. SEMrush consists of the following tools:
- Site Audit to check your site for more than 50 possible technical issues or warnings, including ways to fix them.
- Backlink Audit to help you find and get rid of backlinks that are toxic so you don’t get search engine penalties.
- On-Page SEO Checker will provide information about all the issues you may have on all the webpages you are optimizing.
- Get a Competitors Discovery Report to see which or your rivals keywords are providing them with the most traffic.
- Keyword Magic where you can get up to a million keyword ideas for long tail keywords. This tool provides all kinds of related keyword information about search volume, keyword difficulty, competition density and many more SERP features.
- Generate a Related Keywords Report to find out search terms and/or phrases are related (LSI Keywords) to you target keywords.
- SEO Content Template to create quality optimized SEO content to get you ranked on page one of search engines.
- And also generate tons of different reports that show everything you need to know about your sites SERP and rankings.
- BuzzSumo – This is a research and monitoring tool that allows users to do the following by entering your or your competitors domain:
- Find the content that is being shared the most on social media.
- Locate influencers for any particular topic.
- Get alerted for keywords, links or domains that you are tracking.
- Track you competitors and analyze their sites based on their content.
- Moz Pro – Moz Pro is another very popular all-in-one set of SEO software tools designed to improve your search engine visibility. The important features include the following:
- Link Explorer is just what it sounds like. Link Explorer measures your backlinks, your most valuable pages, your linking domains, and more so you can build high-quality links to be more competitive and succeed online.
- Keyword Explorer lets you do keyword research to find the best ranking keywords available, using the best database in the market, that is always kept fresh. Never more than two weeks old. Contains all the metrics you need for keywords.
- Rank Tracker provides you with all the metrics and information you need to track your rankings for your site and you can also track your competition. Provides alerts so you can stay on top of your rankings.
- On-Page Optimization will let you enter a keyword and page combination, which will quickly provide you with a prioritized list of recommendations with simple steps to follow to optimize your page content. This is critical to improve your rankings as the Moz Pro recommendations are tailored just for your site.
- Moz Pro also Crawls your site and provides you with Custom Reports about your sites health and how to improve everything.
- Long Tail Pro – You probably already guessed that this is all about long tail keywords. But, it is so much more. This keyword research tool will help you quickly find low competition keywords for competitive niches. This tool is designed and built for those of us doing Search Engine Optimization (SEO). It will provide you with hundreds or even thousands of related keywords, along with search volume, rank value, and even Keyword Competitiveness (KC). KC tremendously helps you judge the keyword difficulty and competition to rank for. Check out my full detailed review of Long Tail Pro by CLICKING HERE.
- Majestic SEO Tool – This tool is called “The planet’s largest Link Index database“. It lets you check out your competitors in many ways and comes with the following features:
- Back Link Checker allows you to check your backlinks to make sure they are high quality links and not Spam links. Also provides you with information about your links and SEO to help you get ranked higher.
- The Majestic URL Submitter allows you to submit your own URLs or your client URLs to all search engines so they can be crawled and indexed quicker.
- The Majestic Web Master Tool is an alternative to Google Webmaster Tools. It is free for the first 30 days trial and provides you with statistics for you website that are clear and easy to understand. You will find all the information you need about traffic to your site, visitor interests, locals of your traffic and much more. Unlike Google Webmaster Tools, you will have to pay for this one, but it is worth it.
- The Search and Site Explorer and Keyword Tool lets you obtain information about your page title and description in comparison to you competitors. You can search the Majestic index for any phrase or keyword. You will see the page title and URL where it appears, along with getting the Search Score for the URL. Search Explorer is perfect for generating a quick list of relevant URLs. It will provide you with a wide range of URLs that align with your keyword. You will learn why these are all listed and whether it be because of the Anchor Text, Page Title, or long or short URLs.
Majestic can be used for free mostly, for one site, but for more than one site you will have to select one of their pay plans.
- SE Ranking – This is what I consider to be your All-Inclusive cloud-based SEO software. Seriously, this one has it all. Here are the major features to help with your SEO ranking:
- Keyword Rank Tracker – Allows you to track keyword ranking in all search engines for any location and device. Also lets you track you competitors keywords.
- Website Audit – We all need to periodically audit our websites and SE ranking will help you analyze all of your pages for the key SEO parameters. You can compare previous crawls by search engines and solve any issues, using expert guidelines. You will see the results of the audit with what passed, had warnings and the biggest issue, errors.
- On-Page Checker – Lets you analyze any target URL for any target keyword you are interested in, and provides information on the technicalities, content and links, along with a bunch of other analysis data. Tips are provided to solve any issues found and to get rid of warnings, if you want to.
- Lead Generator – This will collect visitor information to help convert them into clients, and also offer your visitors a Free on-page SEO audit.
- Backlink Checker – With this checker, you can analyze each link against the important SEO factors. You will be able to check out your competitors backlink profiles. I like the fact you can export your backlinks to the Backlink Monitoring Tool.
- Page Changes Monitoring – Provides you with immediate notification of changes to your site pages. You can also compare a few previous iterations of your pages.
- Marketing Plan –
- Social Media Management – Yes, this lets you automatically schedule posts on social media like Twitter and Facebook.
Their are many other Paid for SEO tools, but these are some of the best, and then there are also many Free SEO Tools out there that are very useful.
Are There Any Good Free SEO Tools?
Luckily, Google itself has many free tools we can all use to help optimize our sites. And since these are Googles tools, hopefully they won’t update any algorithms that would invalidate their own tools.
Here are the Free Google Tools for your SEO trials and tribulations:
- Google Search Console – With this tool, you can see if your site has any manual penalties, find out if there are any crawling issues and/or broken links, check how many of your pages are indexed, you can download links, check and even test your robots.txt file, and a lot more, and all of this is free. This will give you a good indication of how Google regards your site. Here is a screen capture of one of my actual sites on search console:
- Google Analytics – According to Neil Patel, “Google Analytics is to the online marketer like air is to the human being. You can’t live without it.” I tend to agree. Analytics provides so much valuable information about your site, it can’t be ignored. It provides Realtime information on the traffic getting to your site, along with a full overview that includes your traffic sources, locations, along with your content and which pages are being viewed. Following is a screen capture of one of my sites so you can see just some of the available information with Google Analytics:
- Google Adds Keyword Planner – This keyword tools is awesome, especially since it is free. It allows you to find the right keywords to get your ad in front of the customers for your niche. Here you can research keywords, discover new keywords, get bid estimates for your add and create your add plan to get the most traffic and customers to your site. Bottom line is, you can find the right keywords for your business.
- Google Trends – The name says it all. Trends shows you the latest trends for any keyword you put in the search window. You will learn how valuable it can be to your business, just by using it. Here is a great example where I search for “Make Money Online”:
- Google Page Speed Insights – Your page loading speed and performance is critical to your users and to get conversions. If you site doesn’t load quickly or respond quickly, your readers will simply leave your site. This great Page Speed Insights tool analyzes your site’s front-end performance and offers optimization suggestions. When you use this tool to run a analysis of your site. it will provide you with a score between 0 and 100 points, with a higher score being better. A score of 85 or above says your site or page is performing well. This tool will provide you with some great insights into the performance of your website. Following is an example for one of my actual sites:
As you can see, just the Free Google tools can provide a ton of information for your site and your SEO world. There are many other free tools on the internet and many that will let you try them with a free trial period.
You cannot survive in the online world unless your site is properly optimized.
SEO Tools are a Must for Your Site.
Hopefully you see that it is clear that you need as many SEO tools as you can find, to make sure your site make search engines happy. Use the free ones as much as you can, but don’t be afraid to invest in yourself and your site with some of the paid tools I presented you in this article.
Best of luck in the world of SEO and feel free to ask me any questions.